Thread: Gideon Card requirments

Gideon Card requirments

Hi Guys,

Just a few quick questions about the Gideon.

In 720P recording mode is there only 1 option? i.e 120fps. whilst great to be able to do super slow mo, sometimes its good to be able to record at 30fps to conserve data space.

My other query is in regards to card requirements. The FAQ section suggests Sandisk cards class 6 or higher.
    Based on the table for how much footage will fit onto a card.

the table has data for 1080p 30fps and 720p 60 fps but the Gideon can operate at twice those frame rates. Is it a simple matter of twice the frames = twice the data required? eg 16gb card at 720p 60fps = 220min of film therefore at 720p 30fps it will equate to 110min film?

Can you also confirm that a Sandisk Ultra Micro SD card has the required specs to work with this camera? On the Sandisk site it suggests you need Sandisk Extreme for Cameras - hence my need to clarify, though I expect it will be fine as 1080p 30fps appears to be less than 2mb/sec data transfer, and the ultra is capable of 30mb/sec.

I'm about to depart on a 10 day expedition into Siberia so want to be 100% sure I have the correct gear to take advantage of all the amazing filming opportunities.

Cheers

WaspCAM Marketing WASPcam Staff's Avatar
    The Gideon will record HD video in 720 @ 60 and 120 fps.

With a 32GB card installed into a Gideon, set at 720p120, you could expect up to 7 hours of video recording time. Good review from one user here:

http://www.419fishing.com/category/waspcam-gideon/

A Sandisk Ultra Micro SD should work fine. We always suggest re-formatting the SD card inside the camera before you start recording. Always do a 'test video' before heading out for your video shoot.

Good luck on your trip to Siberia! Sounds interesting!

Sorry not to hijack thread but I have just had some issues while recording in 720P 120fps... I have a class 10 Micro SD card which has been reformatted prior to use. I have no issues during playback in 1080P but have glitch playback in 720P mode.

Any ideas? I will use all other formats soon see if any other issues arise.

Thx

Quote Originally Posted by Lightduty View Post
    Sorry not to hijack thread but I have just had some issues while recording in 720P 120fps... I have a class 10 Micro SD card which has been reformatted prior to use. I have no issues during playback in 1080P but have glitch playback in 720P mode.

Any ideas? I will use all other formats soon see if any other issues arise.

Thx
    Hi Light Duty,

Is it freezing then playing then freezing then playing? or another issue

Usually play back issues like that are either data transfer rates through your usb port or your computer processor or video card not keeping up - 720 120fps is alot for it to think about.

Try saving the file to your computer hard drive prior to play back, and also try using different players to play it. Windows media player sucks for this issue - VLC is better. also shut every other process down to limit the computers work load.

see if that helps.

Quote Originally Posted by DBrault View Post
    The Gideon will record HD video in 720 @ 60 and 120 fps.

With a 32GB card installed into a Gideon, set at 720p120, you could expect up to 7 hours of video recording time. Good review from one user here:

http://www.419fishing.com/category/waspcam-gideon/

A Sandisk Ultra Micro SD should work fine. We always suggest re-formatting the SD card inside the camera before you start recording. Always do a 'test video' before heading out for your video shoot.

Good luck on your trip to Siberia! Sounds interesting!
    Thanks for the info - I have just picked up some sandisk ultra cards - I avoided ebay for these to make sure they are the real thing!

With the 7 hours of recording bit, http://www.waspcam.com/support/faq/ shows 720p 60fps as being 7 hours 20 min for 32gb (220 min for 16gb or 3:40). I would expect 120 fps to take up alot more space than 60fps. can you clarify?

Siberia will be very interesting lol. Hope to get some amasing footage.

I will do a test run on the 16bg cards shortly - the other option i had was lexar HP but their 16gb card writes much slower than the 32gb version so gave it a miss as i wanted multiple smaller cards rather than one larger in case i have a corruption/lost camera etc, in which case i only lose some footage. I've seen plenty of lost cameras back in my go pro days with the stuff we do. Not me as I always keep a leash on my head cam.

WaspCAM Marketing WASPcam Staff's Avatar
    Hanko, yes 120fps would take up more space. we should specify, that chart refers to the 9900/9901 model, not the Gideon camera. it seems users are achieving an impressive amount of recording time on a 32 GB card with a WASPcam Gideon.

Quote Originally Posted by thehanko View Post
    Hi Light Duty,

Is it freezing then playing then freezing then playing? or another issue

Usually play back issues like that are either data transfer rates through your usb port or your computer processor or video card not keeping up - 720 120fps is alot for it to think about.

Try saving the file to your computer hard drive prior to play back, and also try using different players to play it. Windows media player sucks for this issue - VLC is better. also shut every other process down to limit the computers work load.

see if that helps.
    Hi thehanko, it is not quite freezing but stuttering every 2 -5 seconds. I saved the file to my computer and the same happened with media player. I just downloaded VLC and it is the same unfortunately as well. I will try other frame rates and report my findings. Oh BTW my Micro SD card is Kingston 32GB

Quote Originally Posted by Lightduty View Post
    Hi thehanko, it is not quite freezing but stuttering every 2 -5 seconds. I saved the file to my computer and the same happened with media player. I just downloaded VLC and it is the same unfortunately as well. I will try other frame rates and report my findings. Oh BTW my Micro SD card is Kingston 32GB
    If you reduce the frame rate it should fix it, its basically a problem with your computer hardware not being fast enough to keep up with the data it needs to process for the video at 120, be it the video card, or processor etc I am not sure. You only need 120 for super super slow mo, you don't need it for normal video, even 60 fps allows for slow mo so unless you need to be able to slow it down majorly your computer will handle it better at 60fps I expect.

Perhaps see if a friend ha a computer you can put the same clip onto to test this out.

thehanko, it looks like you are correct. Al other frame rates work quite well. I guess I don't need the 120fps. Thanks for your help!